We’ve teamed up with our friends at West Chester University to bring you two new lesson plans that bring multicultural education to your classroom! Download the free lesson plans and adapt them to the unique needs of your classroom. Homeschooling parents, use the activities to build literacy skills and explore new languages and cultures with your kids!
The lesson plans can be aligned with state and Common Core standards in Reading/Language Arts. The bilingual book The Little Red Hen and the Grains of Wheat (available in 38 languages) is recommended for these lessons, or you can substitute another book that suits the skills being practiced. The lessons include examples that use Cantonese and Spanish, but you can adapt the lesson to introduce any language. The PENpal Audio Recorder Pen is recommended as a tool to extend thinking.
Lesson Plan 1: Make Predictions & Practice Reading Comprehension
This lesson will guide your students as they:
- Make predictions using information in the book The Little Red Hen and the Grains of Wheat, as well as their own background knowledge.
- Complete a graphic organizer reflecting upon their predictions.
- Write a response illustrating comprehension of the story.
Lesson Plan 2: Learn & Practice New Words
In this lesson, students will:
- Use context to define vocabulary words pertaining to the story The Little Red Hen and the Grains of Wheat.
- Match the correct vocabulary word to a visual depiction of that
- Sort vocabulary words into categories.
Language Lizard has many free lesson plans available for download! You can find lessons that are specific to certain holidays (Chinese New Year, Diwali, Ramadan, Thanksgiving), lessons that focus on certain countries (India, Korea, Japan, Romania), and lessons that address topics like understanding and appreciating differences, or bullying and problem solving.