Changes in Immigration
Honest & Age-Appropriate Conversations
Important Learning Opportunities
- Discuss tolerance and the beauty of diversity in our society.
- Teach lessons of empathy and caring. Talk about why refugees and other immigrants come to this country. Imagine the challenges of starting life in a new country. Discuss how children might feel who are part of the religious groups that are being vilified.
- For older kids, have fact-based discussions in the classroom about gun control and immigration reform. Just be sure to set ground rules first that eliminate hateful speech from discussions, so students in a diverse classroom won’t feel threatened.
Online Resources about Tolerance & Diversity
- Language Lizard offers free lesson plans that celebrate diversity and tolerance, such as “Understanding and Appreciating Differences,” “Appreciating Diverse Cultures and Religions,” and “Cultures and Customs.”
- Education World offers 5 classroom activities that encourage diversity and tolerance, some that use music or art, and can “burst stereotypes.”
- Search for local organizations, like Dolls for Democracy, that will come to your school to cultivate a spirit of community and “spread the lesson of tolerance.”
Some Quotes to Inspire Tolerance
Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other’s eyes for an instant? – Henry David Thoreau
“School diversity many hands held together” by Wonder woman0731 via Flickr is licensed under CC BY 2.0 https://flic.kr/p/J5Ys9N
We’re linking up with other educational bloggers to bring you fun ideas and a great giveaway too!